- You will be paid mileage and reimbursed for tolls. Be sure to obtain receipts for tolls and bring them to the travel claims meeting during the first week of the program.
- Be sure to know the car's license plate number (this information is required to fill out the travel claim form).
- Gas is not directly reimbursed, so there is no need to keep those receipts.
- Mileage is based on the distance between origin and destination (Norman) according to the Rand McNally website calculator, not on the actual mileage measured by the car's odometer.
- The finance department at OU will compare mileage to the price of a coach airfare ticket. The lesser of those two amounts then becomes the cap for the mileage portion of the reimbursement. Total travel costs are also capped at $500 ($250 each way).
- The REU program can only reimburse hotel stays on the night before you get in to the apartments (beginning of the program) and on the night you leave the apartments (at the end of the program).
- Hotel receipts must show a $0 balance. Most hotel receipts DO NOT do this by default. After paying for the hotel, go to the front desk and ask for a receipt that shows zero balance.
- Hotel reimbursement is capped at federal rates. Check here to find the federal rate for the city and state where you plan to stay.
- The REU program will book the flight and send you an electronic itinerary. Print this itinerary and take it to the airport.
- We try to group flights to arrive at about the same time.
- Someone from REU will pick you up at the airport and take you to the apartments. The program rents a van from OU for the summer, so there is plenty of space for luggage. Watch for emails near the start of the program about who will be at the airport, what to look for, and a cell phone contact number.
- If someone drives you to/from the airport, you can be reimbursed for the mileage and tolls. Be sure to obtain and keep toll receipts.
- If your flight exceeds the cap but others remain below the cap, we may be able to pay the excess on your ticket. However, this is not always possible.
- Note the date, time, and address from which your official travel begins and ends. You will need this information to file your claim. The addresses are used to calculate mileage to/from the airport and/or residences. The date/time determines per diem payments. See the bottom of the page for an example of what to note.
- Keep all relevant receipts (hotel, tolls, parking). Bring them on the first day-- we'll set aside time to fill out travel claims.
- There is a $500 total travel allowance for each student. Each half of the trip to/from Norman is capped at $250. Exception: if you fly, your ticket was bought up front and comes out of the $500. Any remaining funds go to mileage/tolls/parking.
- No matter how the individual numbers work out for mileage, airfare, hotel, and/or per diem, the total reimbursement is capped at $250 each way.
- After the claims have been processed, you will receive a form to sign. The items may not quite match what you turned in on the claim form. The finance department double checks the numbers to be sure they conform to the latest rules. Sometimes they change things a little bit.
Example of what information to note:
- Flew to Norman.
- Was driven to the airport. Left my home (1234 Anystreet Rd., Chicago, IL 60613) at 6:05a on 28 May 2007 and drove to Chicago-O'Hare International Airport.
- Parking was $5. Person who drove me will mail the receipt.
- License plate of the car that drove me: C123 4567 (IL)
- REU van picked me up at Will Rogers airport in Oklahoma City and drove me to the apartments. Arrived at apartments at 1:20p on 28 May 2007.
- Flew back home.
- Was driven to the airport by the REU van. Left the apartments (1234 Somewhere Ave., Norman, OK 73072) at 10:20a on 4 Aug 2007 and drove to Will Rogers airport in Oklahoma City.
- Parking was free (less than an hour), so no receipt.
- Picked up in Chicago and driven to my home (1234 Anystreet Rd., Chicago, IL 60613). Arrived at 5:45p on 4 Aug 2007.
- Was picked up right outside baggage claim, so no parking receipt.